Motivation

My motivation to start this blog mainly was to have a memory hook for myself.
I'm experiencing to investigate repeatedly on the same problems multiple times in slightly different contexts, when these appear in e.g. new project setup cycles.
May be my markers might also be helpful for other software developers ...

2/11/2015

I have a dream ...

I'm dreaming of so called C++ courses/classes/curriculae will stop teaching (requiring) their students to use:

  • char arrays to build up data structures containing C-style strings, instead of using std::string
  • Raw multiple dimensional arrays like T matrix[Row][Col];
  • new / new[] and delete / delete[], instead of teaching how to use RAII correctly, or just use the features available from the C++ standard libraries, like the available data Containers, or at least from Dynamic Memory Management
  • ancient compilers like Turbo C++, or Borland C++ Builder, which are outdated for any C++ standard, that are actually in use (seems to be broadly applying for e.g. India)
____________________________________________________________________________

May be I'll have even more points in future, but these are my foremost ones.

Teachers lacking competence, just make the world of C++ programming worse, and all of us professionals will have to deal with junior engineers, that had bad ideas implanted to their brains.

If any student hits this post, and is feeling the same, just point your teacher/lecturer/professor here, and let them argue with me. I'm pretty sure I can convince them, that it's way too costly to act like this in the long term for any educational system.
For nations that are trying to play a significant role in the software development industry, we should expect that they are equipped with the most actual knowdlege about the programming language.

1 comment:

  1. FYI, C++Builder is not ancient, and the latest version now supports C++11 in 32bit (it has supported C++11 in 64bit for several years now).

    ReplyDelete